You may think landscaping should take precedence when planning out the exterior of your home. However, you can’t forget about the lighting that can help to highlight all of the amazing features of your home and its landscaping. When you fully understand the advantages of outdoor lighting, you will be able to choose the perfect lights to fit your home’s needs! To help you understand the pros of installing landscape lighting, the experts at Farryn Electric have come up with four ways your home, and landscaping, will benefit from them.
The most obvious advantage to adding exterior lighting to your home is the enhancement of appearance it brings. The right lighting can accentuate your home’s beauty even after the sun goes down. You can even angle lights to show off all of the hard work you put into your landscaping! Your home instantly becomes more inviting and gains major curb appeal just with the installation of outdoor lights.
Family, friends and any other visitors will be able to see (and stay on) the walkways of your home thanks to landscape lighting. The added visibility can decrease the risk of injury on your property! From cracked sidewalks to uneven paths, the strategic illumination can further highlight the areas to avoid when making their way into your home, so all visitors will make it safely inside.
A dark home can easily become the target of vandalism and burglary. In contrast, a well-lit home draws attention, making it easier to catch a thief in the act than if the house was dark. With less darkness surrounding your home, it becomes difficult for a potential intruder to remain hidden around your home. Just be sure to place lights close to entryways, so when you are arriving home in the dark, or looking outside your windows, you can see if there is anyone lurking around your property.
By adding lights to the exterior of your home, you can expand the capabilities of your living space—the fun doesn’t have to end when the sun goes down! The addition of lighting on your porch or deck can allow more time outside to enjoy the springtime breeze or relax with family after a long day. With outdoor lighting you can really take advantage of all of your outdoor living spaces!
The addition of landscape lighting can completely alter the appeal of your home. In fact, exterior lighting ranks among one of the top characteristics for home buyers in NAHB’s annual survey of what home buyers are really interested in! Here at Farryn Electric, our reputation for high-quality work and amazing service sets us apart. Contact us today at 484-316-0449 for more information.
Did you know that according to Electrical Safety Foundation International, home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage? The summer months are filled with fun outdoor activities with family and friends, but you should always be aware of the dangers of outdoor electrical usage.
Here are some tips to keep everyone safe this summer!
Around the Pool
Remember, water and electricity don’t mix!
- Keep all electrical cords away from water.
- Be on the lookout for underwater lights that are not working properly, flicker or work intermittently.
- Make sure all outdoor outlets have Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) – Especially around the pool.
- Do not swim before or after thunderstorms.
Remember, lightning most often strikes people who work outside or engage in outdoor recreational activities.
- Be careful if you get caught in a summer storm.
- Almost 100 people die each year from lightning related incidents, and another 500 are severely injured.
- If a thunderstorm is approaching, be sure to go indoors and stay there till the storm has passed.
- If there is no shelter, crunch low, with as little of your body touching the ground, and always with your feet together. If you have to move, hop on one foot to avoid providing a difference in potential between one foot and the other.
- Never seek shelter under a tree.
Note: Extension cords are only a temporary solution!
- Never attempt to extend the length of an extension cord by connecting it with another extension cord.
- Check extension cords for any damage before using.
- Only use extension cords if they have been marked for outdoor use.
The best way to brighten up your home and give your guests a warm welcome is to add exterior lighting. From landscape lighting to lampposts to walkway lighting, there are dozens of ways to show your home in the best light. When it comes to exterior lighting, Farryn Electric has the skills and experience to get your project done right.
The Many Benefits of Exterior Lighting
- Increase your home’s curb appeal – With the right lighting you can have your home stand out in the neighborhood, giving an inviting first impression and showing that your home is well cared for.
- Extend your living space outdoors – You don’t have to be driven inside from your deck or patio by the setting sun. Exterior lighting makes your yard and patio a functional part of your living area and creates a cozy atmosphere for entertaining.
- Add value to your home – Exterior lighting makes your home look well cared for and invested in. If you ever choose to sell your home, a stellar outdoor lighting design will add value and appeal to your home, increasing its salability. Farryn Electric can install exterior lighting at your home to present it in the best light.
- Highlight your home’s best features – The proper lighting can also bring attention to your home’s unique architectural details and landscaping. You can highlight specific trees or water accents, allowing you to enjoy your landscaping around the clock.
Call Farryn Electric for Your Exterior Lighting Project
Whether you want to illuminate walkways, highlight landscaping, or brighten up your porch, exterior lighting is an investment that will bring joy to you and value to your home. Farryn Electric is a fully licensed and insured family-owned business with a commitment to excellence. We do business the old-fashioned way: with respect for our customers and their homes, high-quality work, and friendly service.
But don’t just take our word for it – here is a review from one of our satisfied clients:
“Dan Namerow and his crew take pride in their work and it shows from start to finish. They are friendly, knowledgeable and clean. I have used Farryn Electric personally and have referred them to both family and friends. Nothing but glowing reviews from all.”
Glenn S., Wynnewood, PA
If you are looking for a skilled electrician to make your exterior lighting project a reality, call us today for a FREE estimate at 484-316-0449.
When people think of exterior lighting, they often assume the terms “safety lighting” and “security lighting” are interchangeable, but they have separate – though complementary – goals. The goal of safety lighting is to prevent injury by unseen hazards, while security lighting is meant to deter crime.
As exterior lighting experts, Farryn Electric assesses the individual needs of your home and combine safety and security features as needed.
Exterior lighting can add safety to your outdoor space in a variety of ways:
- Brighten walkways so people can navigate the area safely without worrying about stairs or tripping hazards.
- Zone lighting is useful for illuminating specific areas of your yard and landscape for safe nighttime use (such as a patio, deck, garden, pool area or outdoor seating area).
- You can also light driveways, garages and other entryways so your family and guests feel safe coming and going at night.
A well-lit home and yard gives a feeling of security and vigilance. It also shows your property is cared for and well maintained. This discourages trespassers and thieves, who prefer homes that can be approached under cover of darkness. Illuminating entrance points – such as door and windows – makes it difficult for a potential burglar to break in unnoticed.
If you don’t want your exterior to be constantly illuminated, you can opt for:
- Lights with motion detectors – A dark yard can be instantly filled with light when someone enters, both keeping family and friends safe and deterring criminals.
- Lighting systems that run on a timer – You’ll never have to worry about coming home to a dark house, or forgetting to turn the lights on or off before bed.
- Lights that can be turned on by remote – Even if you have your lights on a timer, your lighting system can be overridden by remote control. Keep the remote on your nightstand, and you can turn on the lights without leaving your bed, scaring off prowlers or animals.
Choose Farryn Electric for All Your Exterior Lighting Needs
When it comes to service and quality, Farryn Electric is #1. We offer competitive pricing and promise to treat your home as though it was our own. If you’re considering an exterior lighting project, you can call us for a free estimate.
Call us today at 484-316-0449 to experience the Farryn Electric difference on your next exterior lighting project.
I cannot stress enough the importance of yearly outdoor electrical check ups to ensure safety and functionality. Here are a few tips I would like to share with you. If you would like Farryn Electric, LLC to do this for you, please give us a call 484-316-0449.
Upgrade Burned-Out Lamps
Start by replacing any or all lamps that have burned out. An easy, fairly low-cost solution is to replace any medium-base incandescent lamps with screw-base CFLs, unless your building is in a cold climate where compact fluorescents are less effective. If your budget allows, consider replacing the fixture with long-lasting HID or LED lamps – their long lifetimes mean they require less frequent replacement, and the ensuing labor savings and lower energy consumption justify the slightly higher input cost.
A few ways to cut costs for lamp replacement in fixtures is to follow a relamping schedule, and replace all lamps at the same time. This way, the cost of equipment transportation is reduced. Another way to cut costs is to make sure the fixtures are not on when they are not supposed to be. A common way of dealing with lamps being on during the day is to use timers. Alternatively, photo sensors turn the lights on and off automatically.
If you notice that your fixtures are too far gone meaning excessive corrosion, the mechanical integrity has been compromised, or the lenses are broken or missing – then replacing the fixture might be the only option. Sometimes replacement is less expensive than repairs.
Once you’ve replaced those lamps, take a look at the ones that are underperforming. Check to see how clean the fixtures are. If any are significantly dirty, start cleaning – you may be surprised at the results.
Start with the glass or plastic lens, cleaning both sides thoroughly. See if it’s possible to get any dirt off the internal reflectors. Then, check the gaskets to make sure they’re working as intended – if you find too much dirt inside the fixture, it could signal that the gaskets are not performing up to code.
Typically, whenever the bulb is replaced, you’d hope the electrician would wipe the lens off, we do at Farryn Electric. I’ve walked up to many fixtures at many homes that have a bulb that’s working, but the fixture’s just filthy. You’re paying for the electricity, but you’re not getting the light!