by Summer McAnally | Jan 7, 2022 | Backyard Lighting, Exterior Lighting, Outdoor Lighting, Residential Lighting
Outdoor lighting can effectively enhance your protection at home. A well-lit home can help discourage potential intruders, minimize hiding spots, and increase your overall sense of safety.
Coming from an electrician with over 20 years of experience in the field, a key tip in security lighting is that you don’t want to over-illuminate your home. Too much lighting can put your home at risk! It could potentially draw unwanted attention and allow others to see your valuables.
To prevent your home from becoming a potential target for intruders, I am going to explain how you can improve outdoor lighting to enhance safety and security.
What kind of outdoor lighting do you need?
Another option for your security lighting to think about is how they will function. Do you want to invest in smart or motion-sensor capabilities? Smart lights allow you to control settings remotely via cellphone, Alexa, Computer, or tablet; or you can pre-set timers to turn lights on or off during specific times for when you are home or away. Benefits also include reduced energy costs and instant notifications on your smartphone if motion is detected.
Where should you install lighting?
After you’ve decided on your outdoor lighting equipment with a Farryn Electric Technician or with our help purchasing your own, we can help you tactically place lights around your home. Some areas to consider:
- Above garage doors, front, and back entrances.
- Along walkways and driveways.
- Backyard gathering areas like patios and decks.
- Near landscaping like trees and bushes.
If you would like to learn more or have questions about product and placement, please give us a call at Farryn Electric 484-316-0449 to discuss your home’s outdoor lighting needs.
by Summer McAnally | Jun 9, 2020 | Electrical Safety, Exterior Lighting, Outdoor Lighting
Ready or not, Summer is here, and we are still under quarantine and social distancing due to COVID-19, which means spending more time outside and in your new backyard swimming pool. While electrical safety is important year-round, we think this is a great time of year to review some pool safety tips. To have peace-of-mind and protect you and your most asset, your family! Here are some things to keep in mind.
Pool Safety Tips
- Use only battery-operated products around the pool that are waterproof or water-resistant.
- Be mindful of overhead power lines. Your pool should not be installed within 25 feet of overhead power lines and long-handled poles and tools should be kept away from them as well. You should also keep these tools and poles held as low to the ground as possible.
- Always avoid touching any electrical items when you are wet or are touching wet surfaces. Especially if you are barefoot.
- Keep electric cords, wires, and appliances at least 5 feet from the water.
- Regularly inspect your pool lights for cracks or mold on the inside of the lens which could show signs of a leak.
- Make sure all outdoor receptacles are covered and are GFCI protected. These offer the best protection against electrocution. They should be tested at least once a month to make sure they are functioning properly.
- Have a licensed electrician inspect and upgrade your pool or hot tub wiring to ensure it is safe and meets NEC requirements.
It can be easy to overlook, but electrical safety is extremely important, especially around water. The electricians at Farryn Electric are safety experts. We can do a complete check-up on your pool’s pump, filter, heating, and lighting and make sure everything is working properly. Don’t miss out on time you could be swimming this summer and call us today!
by Summer McAnally | Apr 23, 2019 | Backyard Lighting, Exterior Lighting, Outdoor Lighting, Residential Electrician
You may think landscaping should take precedence when planning out the exterior of your home. However, you can’t forget about the lighting that can help to highlight all of the amazing features of your home and its landscaping. When you fully understand the advantages of outdoor lighting, you will be able to choose the perfect lights to fit your home’s needs! The experts at Farryn Electric have come up with four ways your home and its landscaping will benefit from adding exterior lighting.
by Summer McAnally | Dec 19, 2018 | Electrical Safety, Exterior Lighting, Residential Electrician
Exterior holiday lighting brightens up the holiday season—it creates a heartwarming scene, it conjures up feelings of nostalgia and it makes homes glisten in the winter night—but decorating your home with these festive lights can create electrical safety issues that can harm you, your family and your winter wonderland. To protect your home this winter, the exterior lighting experts at Farryn Electric have come up with four ways to ensure your home can sparkle this holiday season, while also keeping it safe from electrical safety hazards.
Safely Use Extension Cords for Your Glowing Garlands
Adding lights to garland takes your home’s decorations to a whole other magical level, but they require the use of extensions cords—the right ones, that is. Whether you have garland accentuating your front door, wrapped around lamp posts or swirled around structural pillars, be sure to use extension cords that are specified for outdoor use only and that are in good condition with no fraying or other damage.
Embellish Walkways with Expertly Placed Wires
When you’re standing on a walkway lit up by sparkling lights, it’s hard to not feel like you’re walking through a winter wonderland. However, outlining your walkways, exterior steps and driveway with holiday lights requires a lot of wires—the placement of which matters. To prevent tripping, wire-damage and fire hazards, keep wires out of heavy foot traffic areas, away from areas that typically collect water and safely covered with products made to cover them.
Illuminate Your Lawn with Lights Without Overloading Circuits
Too often, people forget that their lawn is prime real estate for holiday light decorations, but all this extra lighting can make your circuits work overtime. To ensure your don’t blow any circuits this holiday season, look at the amp-rating on your lights as well as the amount of lights your circuit can safely handle. To prevent electrical issues, it’s recommended that you should load your circuit up to 80%. If you have a 20-amp circuit, this means that you can safely handle 16-amp lights.
Avoid Tree Fires When Lighting Up Your Landscaping
Landscape lighting will certainly make your home stand out this holiday season, but just as Christmas trees have been known to cause fires, so can your outdoor shrubbery. Whether you’re adding exterior lights to trees or bushes, avoid tree fires by utilizing LED lights—these are the safest choice in lighting because they emit the least amount of heat.
Realizing you have extension cords powering too many of your holiday decorations, need to fix an outlet issue or want help with your exterior lighting? Then enlist the help of a professional (after all, Santa doesn’t do all the work himself either)! At Farryn Electric, we make exterior lighting easy—from accent lighting on your home to lighting on your walkways and pillars, you can have a merry and bright home without having to stress about any electrical issues. Contact us today to set up your exterior lighting appointment!
by Summer McAnally | Jul 29, 2016 | Exterior Lighting, Outdoor Lighting
The best way to brighten up your home and give your guests a warm welcome is to add exterior lighting. From landscape lighting to lampposts to walkway lighting, there are dozens of ways to show your home in the best light. When it comes to exterior lighting, Farryn Electric has the skills and experience to get your project done right.
The Many Benefits of Exterior Lighting
- Increase your home’s curb appeal – With the right lighting you can have your home stand out in the neighborhood, giving an inviting first impression and showing that your home is well cared for.
- Extend your living space outdoors – You don’t have to be driven inside from your deck or patio by the setting sun. Exterior lighting makes your yard and patio a functional part of your living area and creates a cozy atmosphere for entertaining.
- Add value to your home – Exterior lighting makes your home look well cared for and invested in. If you ever choose to sell your home, a stellar outdoor lighting design will add value and appeal to your home, increasing its salability. Farryn Electric can install exterior lighting at your home to present it in the best light.
- Highlight your home’s best features – The proper lighting can also bring attention to your home’s unique architectural details and landscaping. You can highlight specific trees or water accents, allowing you to enjoy your landscaping around the clock.
Call Farryn Electric for Your Exterior Lighting Project
Whether you want to illuminate walkways, highlight landscaping, or brighten up your porch, exterior lighting is an investment that will bring joy to you and value to your home. Farryn Electric is a fully licensed and insured family-owned business with a commitment to excellence. We do business the old-fashioned way: with respect for our customers and their homes, high-quality work, and friendly service.
But don’t just take our word for it – here is a review from one of our satisfied clients:
“Dan Namerow and his crew take pride in their work and it shows from start to finish. They are friendly, knowledgeable and clean. I have used Farryn Electric personally and have referred them to both family and friends. Nothing but glowing reviews from all.”
Glenn S., Wynnewood, PA
If you are looking for a skilled electrician to make your exterior lighting project a reality, call us today for a FREE estimate at 484-316-0449.