If you’re looking to update your West Chester outdoor lighting, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Envision where you want light. The first step to creating a lighting plan is to identify what areas of your yard and home you want to illuminate. Take a walk around your property and identify which areas you could better utilize if they were well lit, as well as dark areas that compromise your safety.
- Just like a cake, light is better in layers. There are three main types of outdoor lighting: ambient, task, and accent. Ambient lighting is the general illumination and sets the overall light level of a space. Task lighting is so-called because it provides light necessary to complete a task, while accent lighting is purely decorative. A good lighting design layers all three types for the best overall effect.
- Calculate how much light you need. There’s a simple calculation to determine how much light a space requires: multiply the square footage of the area by 1.5 and you will have a rough estimate of the total wattage required.
- Consider energy saving features. To keep your electric bill down, look for outdoor lighting that carries the Energy Star logo. LED bulbs are also an energy-efficient solution, providing the same light as an incandescent bulb while using 75% less energy. Plus the average life span of an LED light is over 40,000 hours – or more than 12 years of average nighttime use!
- When it comes to fixtures, size is everything. An outdoor fixture should be the perfect balance of proportion and light output. A fixture typically looks half its size from the street compared to up close. For your front door, a single light fixture should measure 1/3 the door’s height, while using two lights on either side of the door should be ¼ the height of the door. If in doubt, go larger.
- Know your bulb. To get a warm, soft glow and avoid your yard being glaringly bright, don’t max out the wattage in all your fixtures. 60-75 watts is ideal for most exterior wall fixtures or lanterns. You may attain the look you want by having multiple low-watt lights, rather than several high-watt lights that only provide pools of intense brightness.
Call the Best Electrician in West Chester for All Your Outdoor Lighting Needs
“We can certainly attest to your creative vision and the expertise of your team! We are constantly complimented on the stunning exterior lighting you designed and installed at our home.” – Eduardo C.
Farryn Electric is your West Chester exterior lighting expert. Whether you’re looking for security lighting or want to brighten up your deck or gazebo, our skilled electricians will bring your vision to life. With high-quality workmanship and friendly service, it’s no wonder we’re the #1 electrician in West Chester.